Copyright Agency manages the Resale Royalty scheme
Credit: Guy Louanglath - Keydin Creatives
Here are the latest statistics about the scheme:
Since its start on 9 June 2010 until 9 February 2014, the scheme has generated royalties:
- Totalling more than $2.28 million
- From more than 8,000 resales
- For more than 820 artists
- Lowest royalty $50
- Highest royalty $55,000
- Most royalties have been between $50 and $500
- Over 65% of the artists receiving royalties are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander artists and they have received 50% of the total royalties generated
- Of the 50 artists who have received most money under the scheme, 26 are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Most artists have received one or two royalty payments, but some have received multiple payments
- While there were costs associated with establishment of the scheme, particularly in systems set-up, education and awareness activities, the royalties generated for artists already exceeds the funding provided by Government for implementation of the scheme.
A review of the scheme was conducted by the Australian Government in 2013 but the final report has not been released as yet.