2012 Melbourne Cabaret Festival
Buy / Ticket: http://melbournecabaret.com
Bringing the world of cabaret to Melbourne, once again the festival has sourced some of the hottest international and Australian cabaret acts.
Berlin’s favourite cabaret trio and headline act The Fabulous Singlettes; ‘The Paris Walk’ direct from Paris; Candice McQueen in ‘Nasty’ direct from London, and as part of their American Songbook Series the Melbourne Recital Centre presents the ‘Janet Seidel Trio – Dear Blossom’ and Avigail Herman in ‘Hey World, Here I Am – The Streisand Story’.
With over 100 performers in 34 cabaret shows including 8 world premieres, from comedy cabaret, musical theatre stars, theatrical masterpieces, ‘dark’ edgy cabaret, queer shows and burlesque, the festival offers something for everyone.
The Festival is delighted to welcome The Fabulous Singlettes back to Melbourne after a decade’s absence. This funny, irreverent, high camp trio has made regular TV appearances across the globe and starred in their own BBC and ITV specials. Berlin has also adopted the trio as its favourite Australian act, with its major cabaret venues presenting them as headline act to sell out shows each year over the past decade.
Having performed with the likes of Frank Sinatra, Peter Allen, Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey, The Fabulous Singlettes neatly exhume the bodies of a glorious era that had most of America’s women performers staggering under the weight of hair-dos and lashing of mascara. Supported by a four piece band, The Fabulous Singlettes are Naomi Eyers, Melissa Langton and Diane Dixon.
Acclaimed singer / songwriter Anthony Costanzo will blow you away with a concert joined by a stellar cast including host of Network Ten’s Young Talent Time, Rob Mills, with Laura Fitzpatrick, Cameron MacDonald, Belinda Allchin, Michael Snell and Zoe Trilsbach.
‘Brecht: Bilbao and Beyond’ chronicles the life and work of German playwright, Bertolt Brecht, using biographical material, mirrored with songs, poems, stories, and play excerpts. Devised, written, and performed by veterans of the theatre, John Muirhead and Chuck Mallett, it includes songs with music by Kurt Weill and Paul Dessau interspersed with many new Brecht songs composed by Mallett.
Other highlights include:
- musical theatre legend Sheila Bradley in ‘The Cat, The Rat & Me’, a retrospective of her career written by Pricilla The Musical’s Tony Sheldon
- ARIA Award winning Monique Brumby, Kerri Simpson and Rebecca Barnard are kicking back to kooky kodachrome, dusky desert boot days in ‘The Sheilas Of The ‘70s’
- Crimson Goat Cabaret Club featuring MC Akmal Saleh with Elliot Goblet, Flacco, Geraldine Quinn and Peter Denahy
- singer / comedian Em Rusciano (The Circle and The Project, the Ten Network) in her new show ‘Emelia Rusciano – The Musical!’
- pop cabaret princess, Emma Dean and Green Room Award winner, Jake Diefenbach, in a fantastical pop fairytale ‘An End To Dreaming’
- Ruth Rogers-Wright’s hit show ‘Fabulous Diva – The Music of Dr Nina Simone’
- award-winning songwriter / playwright and performer, Megan Shorey
- ‘Australian Horror Story’ a new blood-curdling yet hilarious collaboration between Karlis Zaid (The Beautiful Losers, The Drowsy Chaperone) and Karin Muiznieks (World War Wonderful, Give My Regards To Broady)
Venues programming their own cabaret and part of this year’s Festival include:
- the Melbourne Recital Centre
- The Butterfly Club
- Bohemia Cabaret Club
- the St Kilda Memo
- Ormond Hall off St Kilda Road
- Red Bennies in Prahran
- Rice Queen in Fitzroy will host the Closing Gala & after-party
The South Melbourne Community Chest is once again official charity recipient of the Festival.
The Melbourne Cabaret Festival is made possible through the generous support of hundreds of people who contributed to its crowdfunding campaign earlier this year, along with the City of Port Phillip, City of Boroondara, the Ron and Margaret Dobell Foundation, Yarra Trams, Yamaha Music Australia, Pom Pom Grafix, Moritz, the JMC Academy, eFirst, Joy 94.9, Quest and TressCox Lawyers. The Festival includes a professional development program for performers.
David Read, Artistic Director, 2012 Melbourne Cabaret Festival, is available for interviews as are all the performers.
2012 Melbourne Cabaret Festival from Thursday 12 until Saturday 21 July at venues across Melbourne.
Tickets: from $20.00.