2012 Art Prizes Australia survey results tallied and ready
Here are some of the important takeaways from the survey:
- The Archibald Prize continues to be the prize most artists aspire to win. Newcomers to the list of desirable prizes include the Adelaide Perry Prize for Drawing, the Woollahra Small Sculpture Prize and the Fleurieu Art Prize (biennial).
- Two thirds of survey respondents believe that artists would benefit from a national code of conduct to ensure judging and awarding of prizes is always on a 'level playing field'.
- Professional and emerging artists are the groups most likely to enter interstate prizes.
- The most significant criteria for artists selecting prizes to enter are the prize's prestige, the prize money on offer and the publicity the finalists will be given. Prize hosts need to get these three elements right in order to attract the maximum number of entrants.
- Art Prizes Australia ranked above Art & Australia and Art Monthly in this survey as the preferred resource for learning about art prizes.
A special thank you to Digital Camera Warehouse and Woollahra Art Removals for their generous support of the survey.
You can find the complete results by clicking here.